Thursday 12 November 2009

Being a server is neither rewarding or easy. It causes serious frustration and what I believe to be a personality disorder. Sometimes I feel like I actually care if someone doesn't like their food, but I don't. Nonetheless, I rush off and get it "fixed". I understand if your meat is undercooked or a request wasn't met, but when you just don't like it? You should appreciate having food in the first place. And you're probably the same person that asked me if scallops were a shellfish. Shame on you. You should have waited to go home and Wikipedia that.
It is, however, very entertaining to work in the service industry. I can say that I either met all of my current friends at work, or through a co worker, and everyone is in the industry. It's really interesting to me that some will go through their whole lives and never understand what it takes to work in a restaurant. I'm not claiming that the work is very hard and challenging. What I am saying is that not everyone can do it. Not everyone can do it, but a lot of different types of people do it.
You have the servers that are not by the book, but get by on their personality. You have other servers that really do care [too much] and perform every single step of service properly, then get on others when they don't. Those are the ones that will also throw you under the bus when they need to, or for a slap on the ass from a manager. Some servers just have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but they're willing to work, so they get to keep their job. And some servers are "professional" servers and they know how to do things right, and you don't hate them.
Another thing you should know is that servers are usually students or working a second job, or in my case, working to save up to go back to school. We are not unintelligent people who are choosing to be servers for the rest of our lives. As a matter of fact, people in the industry are smart, charming, and quick witted. I chose to be a server because it is fast paced, and I get to interact with people on a daily basis. It also provides income that can rival working an office job.

No comments: